Saturday, April 5, 2014

Friday Adventures

Here goes week two of our Friday adventures....

Started the day off with some reading again


Buddy was again sitting behind my head but I didn't get a picture this time.

Last year in the townhouse we started a garden and it was pretty fun to watch it grow and we ended up with lots of jalapeƱos and several tomatoes. Towards the end of summer we realized we were going to be moving and had to let the garden die in order to pull everything out--plus our cherry tomato plants got way out of control. Anyways, we were super excited when the house we moved into already had a raised garden bed in the backyard! Yesterday we decided to go to Lowe's and get our garden started for this year.


Cart full of soil and plants! We also went to Walmart, but let's face it there are no good pictures that happen at Walmart. I'm still slightly bitter that Saginaw/Lake Worth area does not have a Kroger, because I can't stand Walmart. But that's off topic...


Here is the before and after picture of the garden. Well actually like middle and after picture, we had already done a lot of work by the time I remembered to take a picture. Ignore the fact that my outfit is ridiculous, it's my gardening clothes ;)

Last year our garden was probably half the size of this one and we planted way more than we did this year. And everything started growing on top of each other, so this year we kept it pretty small. Plus, not all of the garden gets sun because of the trees so we had to plant strategically. We decided to go with tomatoes (not cherry learned our lesson there!), jalapeƱos, red bell peppers, cilantro, and strawberries! I'm super excited about the strawberries just because it's something fun and different from the other things we have grown.

I mentioned the trees that are shading some areas of the garden. They are actually peach trees, and have hundreds of buds on them. There is a very good chance that we could be exploding with peaches soon. I've already started a Pinterest board with peach recipes!


This is just part of one branch, and you can see all of the little green buds that will eventually turn into peaches. I'm so excited!

We worked outside for a long time, pulling weeds and cutting branches on the rose bushes in the backyard. I think we both have battle wounds from those rose bushes, man those thorns hurt! We decided to take a walk around the park even though we were tired. Kyle and Bud took a little nap when we got home and I attempted to make cut out sugar cookies for the bridal shower next weekend. I have never been good at cut out cookies but I found this super cute cookie cutter and wanted to try it. Let's just say my batch made 12 usable cookies, so I was slightly frustrated when that was done.

We had decided on trying out a new recipe for dinner Spicy Hawaiian Chicken Burgers! They turned out delicious, we followed the recipe pretty closely, except only used one pound of ground chicken since we didn't need six burgers.


I was a few bites in before I remembered to take a picture. There's pepper jack cheese and grilled pineapple on top. It was delicious!

The rest of the night involved coating another batch of cake balls, finishing Star Trek Into Darkness, and watching the Tonight Show.

See you next week!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment