Saturday, June 14, 2014

Friday Adventures--involving flying!

Two weeks in a row of my Friday Adventures post being done on time, that's a pretty good streak! Last week my dad took Kyle up flying and he asked me if I wanted to go this week so that's exactly what happened!

Kyle and I headed over to Hick's Airfield to meet my parents. My mom gave my dad flying lessons for his birthday a few years ago and she agreed that if he got his license she would go up with him. (Side note: my mom hates flying) She stayed true to her word and flew from Northwest airport in Roanoke to Hick's Airfield and met us for breakfast.

Waiting for Kyle to run in the church and pick something up

Drinking our coffee at the Beacon Cafe

Pretty awesome to be waiting for my parents to fly in for breakfast

Dad was flying

Look how cute they are!
We ate at the Beacon Cafe, which was delicious! It's right off the runway and we sat outside so we could watch the planes take off and land. I didn't take any pictures of my food sadly, but it was awesome! I got the breakfast tacos, Kyle had the pecan pancakes, Dad had the old fashion pancakes, and mom had the classic breakfast.

Here's the breakfast menu
After breakfast dad took me flying--it was very awesome! We headed to Decatur to fill up the plane and then had to return the plane to Northwest, so my mom and Kyle drove to Roanoke to meet us. I think my mom was quite relieved to not have to fly again. 

Selfie with the plane while dad was doing pre-flight checks

I think we were over Rhome when I took this picture

All the controls, there are so many!

At the Decatur Airport Terminal

It's impossible to take a good picture with those headphones on

Texas Motor Speedway in the distance

Dad was concentrating

I waited til we were safely on the ground before taking a pic with the pilot

Me and Kyle in front of the plane

Dad and me in front of the plane he flew!
Kyle is doing a 30-hour famine with the student ministry, something World Vision has organized over the years. You can read about the details here. He couldn't eat after 12:30, so even though we had a late breakfast, and he wasn't really hungry, we had to get him a snack before the cut off.
Grilled chicken wrap from Wendy's was the final decision

My lunch was a green smoothie

Kyle and Buddy spent some time playing after we got home

After Kyle headed out, Bud rested while I read

And then we both rested, can you see how long his legs are stretched out?
The rest of the night was pretty low-key. Kyle was gone so Bud and I hung out--I did laundry and planned out meals for next week. Then we went to the park for a nice walk, and I had a mug brownie when I got back. If you've never tried a mug brownie here is a link to the recipe I use. I usually half the recipe, cause it makes plenty and it definitely needs ice cream.



Hope your Friday was good! 

M

No comments:

Post a Comment